Petition to Congress – Support Anti-Rejection Drug Coverage Bill

Posted on 31. Oct, 2011 by in Connections: A Blog about Life!

After receiving a kidney transplant, a patient must take immunosuppressive drugs for the rest of his/her life, at a cost of $19,000 per year. Without these drugs, the body will reject the organ and the patient will have to go on dialysis.

Under current law, Medicare covers these medication costs for three years only, but will cover much higher dialysis costs – $77,000 per year – indefinitely.

The Comprehensive Immunosuppressive Drug Coverage for Kidney Transplant Patients Act, currently in the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives, will extend that Medicare coverage for the rest of the patient’s life. This will help patients to keep their kidney transplants, shorten the transplant waiting list, and lower Medicare costs. Both Democrats and Republicans in Congress support this measure.

It is good for transplant patients, good for taxpayers, and good for the national budget.

Please sign the petition below to urge your Members of Congress to support this legislation. You must include your zip code so we can send the petition to your Representative and Senators.

Thank you for your support.

For a one-page summary of the bill, click here.

[emailpetition id=”1″]

If you are personally affected by this issue, share your story with us! Send us an email.

Organizations that support this legislation:

• American Transplant Foundation
  • National Kidney Foundation (NKF)
  • American Society of Transplantation (AST)
  • American Society of Transplant Surgeons (ASTS)
  • United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS)
  • American Society of Nephrology (ASN)
  • American Society of Pediatric Nephrology (ASPN)
  • Association of Organ Procurement Organizations (AOPO)
  • Renal Physicians Association (RPA)
  • American Association of Tissue Banks (AATB)
  • Polycystic Kidney Disease – PKD Foundation (PKD)
  • Transplant Recipients International Organization (TRIO)
  • Renal Support Network (RSN)
  • American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD)
  • NATCO, The Organization for Transplant Professionals
  • Texas Transplantation Society
  • Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF)
  • Eye Bank Association of America (EBAA)
  • Dialysis Patient Citizens (DPC)
  • American Association of Kidney Patients (AAKP)

90 Responses to “Petition to Congress – Support Anti-Rejection Drug Coverage Bill”

1. Rose Ramsey 12 March 2015 at 10:36 AM #

Pass this bill. I totally support the lifetime cost of the rejection drug needed for transplant recipients.

2. Ed Laurel 26 March 2015 at 11:50 AM #

Please PASS THE BILL.

I am new to dialysis and I’m scared!!!

3. Louis Mikedes 17 April 2015 at 1:57 PM #

I am awaiting a kidney, and I’m not on dialysis, and I am praying for a donor. I empathize with those who have responded to this effort to pass this bill.

What I DON”T UNDERSTAND is how these responses go back to 2011! That’s FOUR YEARS of Congressional deafness. This is SHAMEFUL!! YOU, Mr. Congressman are elected officials who have OUR needs to protect. We, the PEOPLE! What are you doing playing politics with LIFE?? Is life not sacred to you? How dare you! You are not worthy to represent us, unless you take action on this bill, without further delay.
    Louis Mikedes, PhD, Silver Spring, MD

4. Helene Patel 19 April 2015 at 6:45 PM #

It is a start.Pass the bill

5. Beth Compson 22 July 2015 at 3:36 AM #

Please pass this bill.

6. Michelle Cooper 22 July 2015 at 7:21 AM #

Please pass this bill. It is hard to wrap my head around the way this system works. They are willing to pay much more money for dialysis a year rather than pay for medication. Just baffling!

7. Sherrie Douglas 22 July 2015 at 12:28 PM #

My husband Randy just received a kidney from a friend 1 1/2 years ago. I don’t know what we are going to do if we loose coverage for the medication after his 3rd year anniversary of the kidney. His donor did NOT give up a part of her for him to loose it 3 years later because of lack of funds and coverage. Please pass this bill and help millions of American transplant patients. Thank you. Sherrie Douglas 44030

8. Kathy Davis 22 July 2015 at 2:23 PM #

PASS THIS BILL, PLEASE!

9. Kelly Roy 22 July 2015 at 6:16 PM #

Please pass this necessary legislation.

10. Wanda Gann 15 August 2015 at 8:40 PM #

Pass this bill. Do the right thing!

11. Jacob 11 October 2015 at 2:08 PM #

This is so great to hear so I celebrate ciaoutusly with you on this step knowing there are more to come. And I take a deep breath with you as well as you get ready to face the next phase. We continue to send you all tons of positive energy!!!Lots of love!Kristen

12. s. samson 4 November 2015 at 5:01 PM #

I totally support this bill. I donated a kidney to my brother 22 years ago and I am now in stage 4 renal failure. Please pass this on, the financial stress is overwhelming for most.
    Thank you.

13. Paula Palmer 7 November 2015 at 11:15 PM #

Look,financially and monetarily, it makes sense. $19K as opposed to $77K per year? Save lives and save money. It’s a no brainer and a win-win situation. Please be wise and pass this bill!

14. Paula Hatfield 12 November 2015 at 3:26 PM #

My lifetime best friend is approaching a 3rd transplant, which has led me to research and awareness of the immunosuppressant issue. Why are such clear cut solutions even in this position?
    Why must the powers that be always take roads A-Z to get to B? It’s a travesty.

15. Barbara 29 November 2015 at 10:04 AM #

Barbara Stallings

38017

16. Kim Richards 1 March 2016 at 6:59 PM #

I work with dialysis patients, please make life better for patients who need help. Let’s work for a solution.

17. Takisha 7 March 2016 at 7:33 AM #

Please make life better for those who have received life saving organs. It is very difficult for patients to pay for their medications, especially when Medicare considers them Tier 5. How are patients on fixed incomes expected to pay for the high cost of these medications? Please remember that they are on disability and therefore their incomes are fixed.

18. William Hall 9 April 2016 at 7:44 PM #

Passing this bill is only common sense logic. The present policy makes no sense.

19. Maggie Farias 21 April 2016 at 12:38 PM #

Please extend the 3yr.limit for transplanted patients.

20. Vonda Mitchell 29 April 2016 at 10:57 AM #

This should cover anti rejection drugs for ALL transplants!

21. bob stewart 27 June 2016 at 10:52 PM #

You will never know how important this is until you experience it first hand.
    help others.
    Bob

22. Jeffrey Johnese 10 August 2016 at 1:19 PM #

Sign the petition this is very important… Believe me I know from experience…

23. Jeffrey Johnese 10 August 2016 at 1:22 PM #

Please pass this bill it is very important… I know from experience…

24. Lauri Everlove 21 August 2016 at 11:57 PM #

Please update your policy on kidney transplant. We need coverage for the rest of our lives.

25. Natasha Fontenette 7 September 2016 at 7:17 PM #

This is the right thing to do Period!

26. Meagan Burnett 13 September 2016 at 11:14 AM #

As a teenager with Chronic Kidney Disease I support this.

27. Kathy Hanieh 18 September 2016 at 10:44 PM #

This is just common sense, it saves money and takes an enormous burden off of someone who just wants to protect the gift that was given to them! Pass this bill!! Please

28. Janice Crandall 14 October 2016 at 1:26 AM #

I am a transplant recipient of a kidney/pancreas transplant. My coverage ended Oct.31st, 2016. I have been in excellent health for 6 1/2 yrs. due to my access to imunosuppressants. They are life saving. It only makes sense. Please SUPPORT THIS BILL!

29. Janice Crandall. 14 October 2016 at 1:43 AM #

My zip is 83201

30. Maureen Beaman 29 November 2016 at 12:18 PM #

I am waiting for a kidney transplant…I support this bill…let’s get it PASSED!!!

Maureen

31. Larry robertson 10 December 2016 at 7:03 PM #

you have my support

32. Jennifer Driver 23 December 2016 at 9:13 PM #

100% support this bill

33. Jennifer Driver 23 December 2016 at 9:15 PM #

100% support this bill
    Zip: 30008

34. Scott La Point 31 December 2016 at 4:41 PM #

Please pass this bill. My zip code is 80538. In February 2017 I’m scheduled to donate a kidney to a friend that’s been on the waiting list for almost two years. Please do what’s right and pass this bill!

35. Bryana 11 January 2017 at 9:17 PM #

My dad just had a transplant let’s pass this!

36. Laura Helenius 15 January 2017 at 8:49 AM #

Please support this bill.

37. Katherine Hill 15 January 2017 at 12:19 PM #

Please dear god pass this bill! I am my sisters living donor….our surgery is set for this spring. This is one of the most disrespectful and dismissive things congress has NOT done!!!!

38. Stacy O'Neill Weyrich 19 January 2017 at 4:43 PM #

I support this bill. It makes so much sense. My 23 yr old son was just diagnosed with chronic renal failure and will need a transplant in 10-15 years, so this will affect our family. Of course we are hoping that another alternative will be discovered through research soon.

39. Stacy O'Neill Weyrich 19 January 2017 at 4:44 PM #