American Transplant Foundation’s Patient Assistance Program offers two types of grants, one for living donors and one for transplant recipients.
Our program is designed to provide lifesaving monetary assistance for the most vulnerable patients with significant financial hardship. Our goal is to provide support so they won’t be in a financial trouble after giving the Gift of Life.
This is the only program of its kind that is available nationwide that provides emergency financial assistance grants to transplant recipients and living organ donors, regardless of their legal status.
- Please read these guidelines closely and only submit applications that meet the criteria.
- Applications may only be made by social workers and transplant coordinators. Individuals seeking assistance should contact their assigned social worker at their personal transplant center for details.
- Please have all vendor, insurance, income/expenses information ready before beginning the application. You may not save and return later.
- Checks may not be processed by the vendors immediately. Please allow 3 weeks for the checks to be credited. At that time, if checks have not cleared, please contact us.
- Every application that we process is presented to our Transplant Leadership Council members who ultimately vote on the funding decision. The more details we have about the patient, the more likely the application is to be approved.
- All disbursements will be made directly to the vendor, never to the patient.
Living Donor Application
- Financial assistance applications for living donors must be submitted at least 1 week before the date of the surgery. This gives us enough time to process the application and have a financial decision for the applicant, so we can either release the funds to their vendors on the day of the surgery or they can plan for other sources of assistance if their application is denied.
- Living donors must be employed in order to qualify for our financial assistance
- We compensate for the wages lost during the recovery period, so the applicant must be employed and experience a loss of income while recovering from the surgery.
- Vendors include, but are not limited to, electricity/gas company, mortgage/rent company, vehicle payment/insurance company.
- We will send the checks to vendors of approved living donor applicants after the surgery has been confirmed by the Social Worker.
Transplant Recipient Application
- Applications for transplant recipients must be submitted after the surgery. It is meant to be a short-term, temporary help for the patient while they are seeking a longer-term solution.
- We help with medication co-payments and insurance premium payments only.
- Please include as much detail as possible about the patient in the Reason for Referral section.
- Please double check the Household Revenue and Expenses section.
- If incorrect vendor information is provided on a patient application, they are at high risk of not receiving funding. Please supply full and correct vendor names, addresses, account numbers, and amounts.
All applications must be submitted online. Please click the button below to begin the process.
PDF Application Guides:
You can make a donation to this program in honor or in memory of someone here.
For more information, please email: email@example.com