What is the American Transplant Foundation?
The American Transplant Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization working to reduce the growing list of women, men, and children who are waiting for a transplant. Learn more about our Mission and Values, Founder, Board of Directors, and Medical Advisory Board.
What does the American Transplant Foundation do?
The American Transplant Foundation is the only nonprofit in the country that provides emotional, educational, and financial support to living donors, transplant recipients, and their families nationwide. We help save lives by maximizing donation through a three-tiered approach, providing educational, emotional, and financial support.
We provides individual support with:
- Finding a living donor
- Becoming a living donor
- Finding a potential kidney recipient
- Funds for living donors and recipients
To learn more about how we support the transplant community, please explore our programs and initiatives.
Can you help with Financial Assistance for organ transplant patients?
Yes, the American Transplant Foundation’s Patient Assistance Program provides financial grants to living donors and transplant recipients.
For living donors, assistance helps cover essential living expenses due to lost wages during recovery from organ transplant surgery.
For transplant recipients, assistance helps provide one-time, emergency funds to cover insurance premiums, medication co-payments, and direct pharmacy costs.
Learn more about the Patient Assistance Program’s requirements and how to apply.
Can you answer my questions about organ donation?
We can provide answers to general and frequently asked questions about the transplantation and donation process. Read our transplant FAQs to get answers to your questions or contact us for guidance on how to get answers.
Specific medical questions about one’s eligibility to become a living donor or transplant recipient can only be answered by a medical professional. Reach out to your local transplant center or doctor for answers about medical requirements and eligibility surrounding donation and transplantation.
For questions about deceased donation or becoming an organ and tissue donor, please visit Donate Life.
How can I become a living donor?
Our recommended steps are to:
- Learn about living donation
- Join the American Transplant Foundation’s Potential Living Donor Database to get help navigating the process and system. We will send you next steps depending on your preferences and situation and can match you with a trained Mentor, someone who is a living donor themselves, to give you one-on-one guidance and support as you consider living donation.
- View our current potential kidney recipients in search of a living donor
- Research Transplant Centers near you.
- Keep us updated. We want to hear about your progress towards becoming a living donor. Please send us an email or call with updates!
How can you help me find a living donor?
If you already know who you would like to donate to, contact the transplant center they are listed at to learn more about the process and begin testing. If you would like to get one-on-one emotional support and guidance from a living donor, we can match you with one of our trained Mentors. Learn more and apply.
Our 1+1=LIFE Mentorship Program provides free, one-on-one support from a trained mentor who has gone through the process before. Mentors can help you build an individualized strategy for finding a living donor including information and help with:
- Speaking to your family and friends about your situation
- Sharing your story with co-workers, community organizations, and social groups
- Sharing your story with newspapers, magazines, and social media
- Creating an online profile (for potential kidney recipients) to share your story with our Potential Living Donors who are interested in saving a life. Once you’ve signed up as a Mentee, we will send you a link to set up your profile, which you can share in your community campaigns.
If you know someone in need of a living donor, you can also join the Mentorship program and speak to another caregiver/champion to get guidance and help as you support your loved one.
How can I get involved?
Are you passionate about organ donation and transplantation and ready to help save lives? You can be a leader in the battle to save the lives of those in need of a transplant.
- Contribute through a financial donation or fundraising
- Become a Mentor– for transplant recipients, living donors and their caregivers/ family members
- Join the Transplant Leadership Council
- Join our running and cycling team, Team Transplant
- Become a volunteer and help at local events or from afar
- Raise awareness and education about transplantation by hosting your own event
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter and share updates and news about living donation
How can my company or organization partner with the American Transplant Foundation?
Your company or organization can support the American Transplant Foundation’s mission by:
- Creating a corporate athletic team to participate in a local event
- Developing a fundraiser to benefit the American Transplant Foundation
- Hosting an awareness-raising and educational event for staff or the public
- Sponsoring one of our lifesaving programs or events
If you are interested in learning more about these or other options, please contact us directly to set-up a meeting: (303) 757-0959 or email us at email@example.com.
How can I contact the American Transplant Foundation?
Phone: (303) 757-0959
American Transplant Foundation
600 17th Street, Suite 2515 South
Denver, CO 80202
None of these answered my question
Please submit your question and we will respond within 1-2 business days.