Finding a potential living donor may seem like a daunting task but there are many methods that can be used to get your story out to the general public. Step One: Download our comprehensive Living Donor Search Strategies Checklist, reviewed by transplant recipients and living organ donors themselves! Another important step is “recruiting” someone to act as your advocate, or champion, who can assist with various tasks involved in getting your story out. Many people choose a friend or family member to advocate on their behalf- but for those who don’t have someone available to take this on, a 1+1=LIFE Mentor may be able to assist.
- Get one-on-one support from a trained mentor who has gone through the process before in our 1+1=LIFE Mentorship Program.
- Join our Potential Living Donor Database to have a custom webpage built and added to our website for potential donors to see. You will also have the chance to have custom “business cards” printed and shipped right to your door to spread the word about your search. If you’re a Colorado resident we also have the option for posting a billboard.
Educate Yourself and Others
- Become well-informed about transplantation and living donation to educate your friends and family.
- Learn more about crowd-sourcing to find a living donor.
- Speak to your doctor or transplant center about your options. You can research transplant centers near you by selecting the needed organ and zip code at the top of the page.
- Identify/create a specific form of contact to provide on all outreach methods. This may be a specific phone number or an email address. Many people create an easy-to-remember email address to use specifically for their living donor search efforts.
- Write a letter to friends, family, coworkers, and acquaintances telling them about your situation.
- Contact your local television/radio news stations to see if they will highlight your story.
- Create a search party flier to hand out to the public. Reach out to community centers, schools, and churches to see if they will allow you to post your flier where the public can see it.
- Create an elevator speech to quickly and efficiently share your story with a stranger and potential donor. Click here to learn more.
- Share your story on TikTok and other social media
Think Outside the Box!
- Create a t-shirt that friends, family, and general supporters can wear in public to draw inquiries about your story
- Put a message on your car to spread your message even further
- Highlight your story on a local billboard and include your blood type and transplant center contact information.
Success Stories: Hear from our Mentees who Found a Living Donor
- Kelsey, college student, kidney transplant recipient, 1+1=LIFE Mentee.
- Andy, school teacher, kidney transplant recipient, 1+1=LIFE Mentee.
- Michelle, wife, kidney transplant recipient, 1+1=LIFE Mentee.
- Mason, student, living kidney donor, 1+1=LIFE Mentee.
Contact us with questions, concerns, or suggestions at email@example.com or call (303) 757-0959.