ACTION ALERT: Contact Your State Representative and Senator NOW.
- Rep. Buckner – email@example.com
- Rep. Landgraf – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rep. Titone – email@example.com
Guidance for outreach to your legislators
- Tell them you are a constituent; legislators pay attention to those who put – and keep – them in office.
- Communicate aspects important to you in your own words; legislators prefer not to receive standardized emails and/or calls.
- Include something specific to your district (a personal story, something you saw/heard, why this matter is especially important to you, etc.).
- Include a reference to House Bill 1253 – Living Organ Donor Insurance Act
For a phone call:
- Introduce yourself as a constituent as well as your professional affiliation or role in the community and your connection to living donation/transplant.
- “I am calling to show my support HB19-1253 and the L.004 amendment. I feel including health insurance companies to the list of entities who cannot discriminate is vital to the Living Organ Donor Insurance Act.”
- Share your living organ donation story. (optional)
- Thank the elected official for their time and consideration.
For an email:
- By rejecting an amendment L004 health insurance will be removed from this bill – which is unfair to living organ donors.
- Yes, Affordable Care Act addresses the issue of discrimination based on pre-existing conditions, however, even if it is redundant, it makes sense to have health insurance as a part of the bill (not just life/disability/long-term care) – to give living donors a piece of mind in the present and protect them in case ACA goes away in the future.
- The state of New York passed a similar bill last year and they did include health insurance for these reasons. Please stand up to protect Colorado Living Donors. Colorado Senate voted to include health insurance, however, it was rejected by the House this morning.